Helicopter Transport and Landing Zone Safety Selecting a Landing Zone
How to select a safe landing zone
Please secure a 100x100 feet square
- Area can be road, street, intersection, clearing, etc. Order of preference for landing area surface is:
- Smooth Rock
- Area should be free of debris, litter or other loose objects.
- Area should be reasonably smooth with a slope of not more than 10 degrees.
- Be prepared to give the flight crew a landing zone briefing of obstacles, terrain, and other hazards.
- Directions relative to the pilot's field of vision ie: 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock etc. are necessary.
Establishing a Landing Zone